[Buddha-l] Buddhism and Psychology research

Dan Lusthaus vasubandhu at earthlink.net
Fri Sep 3 14:10:47 MDT 2010

> Ot sure why you feel compelled to erect this particular straw man at this
> point.

Primarily because it is not a straw man. The evidence of Jung's antisemitism
prior to and during the war is not in question. The smokescreen emerges in
the discussion of what he did -- what he was --  after the war. He never
owned up to what he did during the war, spent the '40s blaming a "Jewish
conspiracy" and the "Freudians in India" for trying to besmirch his good
name, and made sure to keep embarrassing things, like his Zarathustra
lectures out of the English-reading public eye (those materials only came
out after his death -- try to buy a copy... Bollingen only makes the
expurgated version available -- and guess what sort of stuff is
expurgated?). Case closed.

There are a number of ways one can look at these sorts of things. Generally,
it seems, if one "likes" a miscreant, one finds way to forgive, whitewash,
or de-emphasize the negative. Find some socially redeeming value in the
smut. The parallel with Shimano, et al. is that folks don't want to see
their heroes tarnished. It's wearisome, upsetting, unsettling, and downright
uncomfortable.

As for why this comes up now, someone has been repeatedly tried to smear
Freud with the charge of cocaine addict. There is no comparison between
being an antisemite for one's entire life (Jung couldn't even disguise it
during his first meeting with Freud -- read Freud's diary of that meeting),
and having a temporary experimental episode with cocaine (I'll bet a good
percentage of the readers of this list have had a comparable period in their
life). Just as Buddha spent 29 years in gross indulgence in pleasure, and
then 6 years of ascetism to counteract that (6 months of intense
self-abnegation), in order to arrive at a Middle Way by understanding how
pleasure and pain operate in our lives, Freud's experiment -- for which he
became quite enthusiastic -- helped him understood what he came to formulate
as the pleasure principle.It was a phase he passed through, and left behind
once he learned more about it. Unlike Jung's antisemitism, Freud moved on.
(See? I've illustrate the principle mentioned in the previous paragraph.
NIfty, huh?)

So what does one do with imperfect beings? The Nobel peace prize was
established by A. Nobel who made his fortune developing and selling
dynamite. Does that taint Nobel? You bet. Is it better that he spent some of
that explosive money on something like a peace prize instead of further war
machinery? You bet. It's Better. Not good. Certainly not best.

Are there "fatal" flaws, flaws so unredeemable that one cannot tip the
scales back? I guess that will be in the eyes of the beholder. At the least
one has to make an effort to fix the problem -- hiding and accusing
conspirators of creating it is not a fix.

Was Freud a flawed man? No doubt. But he studied himself, and he and we
learn from his observations. Jung never faced up to his antisemitism, his
philandering, or the many other now well known flaws in his behavior. I
guess if one is looking for a way to ignore antisemitism (or condone
sleeping with one's patients), Jung can be one's model. Let's not forget
that Brian Victoria has shown that the same pack of Shimamo backers in Japan
were also deep antisemites. These are NOT unrelated matters, Tim.

Dan