[Buddha-l] Buddhism and Psychology research

Dan Lusthaus vasubandhu at earthlink.net
Thu Sep 2 16:58:32 MDT 2010

Richard wrote:

> Not only are the tools vastly superior today, but the project of
> abhidharma has nothing whatsoever in common with the project of modern
> psychology.

You haven't read much abhidharma aside from Kosa excerpts and maybe some
dabbling in the Dhammasangani, it seems. Abhidharmikas were very interested
in how things like perception and judgement occur, what were the causes and
conditions responsible. They sometimes drifted into religio-dogmatics, but
then scientists today also take sides in their own ideological and
"lineage-clinging" approaches.

Abhidharma aside, a very convincing case for the affinity between
contemporary psychology and early Buddhist theories about the mind is
Padmasiri De Silva's _Buddhist and Freudian Psychology_, which I've
mentioned before on this list, and Richard has claimed to have read. One can
read a good chuck of it on google.books
http://tinyurl.com/3yfmsls

>Most scientific pyschologists these days don't even believe
> in minds. They believe in brains, and they are interested in how brains
> work.

This is like saying that Buddhists don't believe in selves. They don't.
Abhidharma breaks the skandhas down into numerous components whose
interactions give a mental and physical world.

"Scientists" today, btw, are not the sort of strict behaviorists you are
describing. That ideology petered out decades ago, but some old farts --
some even pretending to be part-time Buddhists -- are too dogmatically
committed to let go of old chestnuts.

>They are scientists, whereas ābhidharmikas were dogmatic religious
> apologists, most of whom didn't have a scientific bone in their bodies.

When you are better informed on the nature and literature of abhidharma we
can return to this example of inappropriate nasty speech.

> As with so many of Freud's ideas, this false dichotomy has led to some
> very unfortunate consequences. One consequence is that people classed as
> psychotics (people with bipolar disorder, schizophrenia and Fox News
> Belief Syndrome) tend to be treated as brains in need of chemical
> manipulation, while neurotics are treated to very expensive talk
> therapy.

Wow -- reductionism, misinformation, and historical discombulation, all in
two sentences. To start: Freud died in 1939. The "drug" revolution you are
complaining about (have you been hanging out with Tom Cruise or the
Scientologists?) didn't happen til the mid 1950s. Your impressions are way
behind the times (I guess it takes a couple of decades for decriers to make
it out to the N. Mexico lecture circuit). Places like Harvard Medical and
MIT have much more progressive views. Time to catch up on current trends.

Dan