[Buddha-l] Oops--Article is from NY Times

Franz Metcalf franz at mind2mind.net
Thu Sep 2 13:48:47 MDT 2010

Stuart et al.,

Thanks so much, Stuart, for your informative though frankly
dispiriting response.

As you wrote, and as is ever so, things are not as simple as we'd like
them to be. I, for instance, would like Aitken Roshi to have been
entirely blameless and courageous in this saga. Reading your post it
seems that he was not exactly blameful, but not exactly courageous,
either. So eyes eyes are opened just that little bit more. A slightly
painful opening, but an opening nevertheless.

I feel for people like Kobutsu Malone and yourself who have devoted
themselves to the tradition so much more deeply than I have and have
had to face so intimately their disappointments with Shimano and other
teachers. You honor the tradition by remaining such critical parts of
it.

In gassho,

Franz