[Buddha-l] Chan-Tibet connection

M.B. Schiekel mb.schiekel at arcor.de
Tue Nov 30 01:29:00 MST 2010

Am 25.11.2010 18:50, schrieb Richard Nance:

> As a place to start re: your Chan and Tibet question, some of the
> essays -- and bibliographic information -- collected here may be
> useful (unfortunately, I don't have the book ready to hand at the
> moment, so I can't be more specific than this):

Dear Richard,

thank you for your helpful references. Now I got "Buddhism between Tibet
& China", edited by Matthew Kapstein. Kapstein shows convincingly in
this volume how interesting and illustrative interdisciplinary Buddhist
studies can be. My questions about the Tibetan-Chan movement of the
eigth-ninth centuries are not dealt with, but there is a very
interesting essay about Gankar Rinpoche in the 1930s to 1950s (and his
disciples C.C. Chang and Charles Luk) by Carmen Meinert, research fellow
at the University of Hamburg/Germany. And I learned, that Carmen Meinert
has widely published on the relationship between Chinese Chan and
Tibetan Buddhism. So after reading some interesting essays in Kapsteins
book I want to look for Meinerts publications.

Thank you again and with best wishes,
bernhard

--
http://www.mb-schiekel.de/