[Buddha-l] (no subject)

Jackhat1 at aol.com Jackhat1 at aol.com
Mon Nov 29 07:40:45 MST 2010

In a message dated 11/29/2010 7:39:57 A.M. SA Western Standard Time,
stefan.detrez at gmail.com writes:

Yes,  working selves. As already mentioned it takes a self to lose it.  It
consider it as a 'disposable' self. My observation of anatta as a  concept
is
not entirely clear. At times anatta is specifically aiming at  brahmanist
notion of an endurable self, whereas at other times I get the  impression
that the self is understood as the person's  personality.
===
Understanding anatta conceptually is hard to understand. Experientially
it's not so hard. Most people that have gone on a retreat realize it however
briefly. During meditation, thoughts and sensations arise and pass away
without  our being able to discern the "I" that directs them. After sitting
meditation we  stand up to go into walking meditation. This very complex action
happens by  itself without an "I" to direct it.

I think anyone who plays a sport or a musical instrument experiences the
same thing. Serving a tennis ball or playing a violin well involves getting
out  of the way to let it happen.

No "I" anywhere, no matter how hard we look.

jack