[Buddha-l] Looking for a Xuyun's quote

Ben Carral info at bcarral.org
Wed Nov 24 16:33:10 MST 2010

On Wednesday, November 24, 2010, Mitchell wrote:

> I think this may be a quotation from Xuyún héshang fa
> huì  (Hsu  yun's  Discourses  and Dharma Words, lit.,
> Xuyun Buddhist-monk dharma collection).

   Thank  you,  Mitchell.  Yes,  it's a quote from that
particular  work.  It  seems a gatha of four sentences.
Just at the beginning of the third day, Xuyun says:

     For this reason, an ancient (master) said:

         Self-cultivation has no other method;
         It requires but knowledge of the way.
         If the way only can be known,
         Bith and death at once will end.

   I'm  looking for the original Chinese characters for
this  poem. I have started to learn Chinese some months
ago,  but I can't find them for myself at this stage of
my Chinese training. :-)

   Best wishes,

   Ben