[Buddha-l] mind wandering

Dan Lusthaus vasubandhu at earthlink.net
Fri Nov 12 12:04:03 MST 2010

Franz,

> But seriously, this is one of those findings that makes we wonder
> about our evolutionary adaptedness. What could be the benefit of this
> mind wandering? There has got to be some powerful advantage to
> something we engage in for almost half of our waking lives. Right?

Obviously this was all part of Vishnu's teleological design so that we would
waste time wondering about such questions on buddha-l. Vishnu is the god of
procrastination.

More seriously, "planning" got us out of the jungle (literally and
figuratively), and that means being able to imagine what is not present or
actual. We wouldn't be human without it. That we are not trained to use that
capacity well leads to many unfortunate individuals torturing themselves
with self-afflictive imaginations. Or so I imagine...

Dan