[Buddha-l] Emptiness and not being able to imagine dying [confused]

lemmett at talk21.com lemmett at talk21.com
Mon May 31 10:09:45 MDT 2010

Is there anything that is more concerned with east asian emptiness?
There's Chih-I's classification but there's nothing I have that really explains them, though they do seem like pretty good rhetoric. I can't place e.g. the neither emptiness nor existence in context of any sutra etc. I've read, without guessing anyway. I was thinking maybe it means that ultimately conditioned existence is empty of imputational emptiness - that the locus of imputational emptiness is names and characters not existence?
Also can the list confirm that absolutely no dharma can be eternal from any perspective: that we can have no evidence for the immutability of any experience? I imagine you see what I'm trying to get at - that passing away involves betting stuck in some moment and not what Tom Clarke has called a "negative emptiness". He draws from an older article that refutes some of its contemporary existentialists who apparently try to establish what death is like for the dead. That seems very relevant to what I am trying to get at but I am not sure that I want to say, necessarily that such a thing can be established or even that there is something it is like to be dead. The former seems a little hopeful and is obviously not the concern of buddhas whereas the latter is, for lots of people, sheer nonsense.

Thanks for any guidance.Luke