[Buddha-l] Have more fun: deny nirvana, not rebirth [was Batchelor]

Jamie Hubbard jhubbard at smith.edu
Wed May 26 11:29:45 MDT 2010

(a bit behind the curve of the discussion due to some addressing problems).

Richard Hayes wrote:
> Bodhi has a very sharp mind and approaches Buddhist texts with a kind
> of rabbinical thoroughness. I can easily see why a textual scholar of
> his calibre would find it odd that a person claiming to be a Buddhist
> does not find the doctrine of rebirth helpful, especially since it is
> so indisputably part of Buddhist tradition. While I can easily
> understand Bodhi's position, I simply don't agree with it. As far as I
> could see, Bodhi was able to see how someone could hold my position,
> but he does not agree with it. Not a single hint of anyone calling
> skepticism about rebirth heretical ever emerged in these discussions.
> (Jamie Hubbard may have different memories than mine on this matter. I
> think he was hoping Bhikkhu Bodhi and I would break chairs over one
> another's heads in the style of an old-fashioned barroom brawl.)
Actually, the discussion/symposium you are referring to was not about
rebirth per se but about rebirth and nirvana (or Buddha, or Buddhahood,
or awakening, or whatever you want to call it). And it is true that I
was expecting a bit more Buddha-l style Richard (when you compared
Dharma to a fart you got close, at least in the humorously provocative
department), but I have since learned that your impeccably tolerant nice
guy approach is but one more way to piss 'em off, at least if (as with
me that time) somebody is hoping for heated arguments. I mean, you and
Jay Garfield in the same room don't even mix it up, and that is sheer
impossibility! Alas-- but I tried, and a good time was had by all, in
spite of your niceness.

As for heresy, it depends on how you want to define it-- if, for
example, it is an act of "choosing" a heterodox view (that is, "wrong
view") that in turn can get you called a "non-Buddhist" or kicked out of
the sangha or even killed, then, in fact Buddhism has lots of historical
examples of heresies.
> As I see it (if I may paraphrase Henry Kissinger), debates among
> Buddhists often become quite animated because there is so little at
> stake. What practical difference could it possibly make whether or not
> one believes in rebirth?
The issue for Bhikkhu Bodhi is not, I believe, the question of morality
or karmic consequences across lifetimes and whether one would be more or
less virtuous without inevitable future consequences. Rather the issue
is nirvana. In his view (and I think that he is correct), without a
belief in literal rebirth in which you must come back and die over and
over again until you achieve the complete awakening of Buddhahood, there
is but this one lifetime, and the imperative of striving for perfection
loses its traction. Heck-- a more simple form of happiness ought to
suffice. Hence Buddhism becomes but "a sophisticated ancient system of
humanistic psychotherapy"
(http://www.accesstoinsight.org/lib/authors/bodhilbps-essay _ 06.html),
or, as it is often called, "Buddhism light." I think that this is also
one of the reasons that HHDL is so adamant about the truth of rebirth
("not finding something [disembodied consciousness floating about
"in-between" until a next birth] is not the same as finding its
non-existence"). Nirvana is at stake, not moral behavior.
> Well, now that I raise that question, I do recall someone on this list
> back in 1993 or so claiming that people who deny rebirth are doing
> Mara's work and will surely spend some aeons in hell. But what's the
> harm in that? Some of the best bodhisattvas go to hell. That's where
> the work is.

Isn't denying nirvana another one of the big no-no's that'll get ya to
hell?

Of course, I do declare that I am a nirvana denier. But for me the
reason isn't a dismissal of rebirth (tho I cannot accept that either),
it is simply that although the final goal of the Buddhist path comes in
many flavors, most if not all of them have some sort of ultimacy
("maximal greatness," in Griffiths' terms) about their taste that simply
renders them unbelievable in today's world, other than as an upaya
(kamra = stick and nirvana = carrot). Without denying the power and
magic and poetry of the idea, there came a time when I simply had to ask
myself what I actually thought might be possible-- and I have yet to
come up with anything that smells remotely like nirvana that also seems
a possibility for humans.

And there are, in fact, "practical differences" that will follow if the
complete cessation of all afflictive mental states *and* the necessity
of rebirth until that is achieved is denied. Simply put, humanistic
psychotherapy makes more sense. And besides, leaving the various
philosophical and psychological problems of Buddhahood aside-- isn't the
notion that you are going to become free of all negative emotions and
become perfectly omniscient and save all beings both ego-maniacal as
well as a kind of an unhealthy obsession? I mean-- isn't a realistic
appreciation of the actual situation and possible outcomes a good thing,
a kind of critical realism that a Buddhist should strive for?

As an eminent Japanese scholar once put it to me after a long conference
and an even longer evening, "At the end of the day, we are all Pure
Landers."

It is too easy to be a Buddhist atheist. Be a Buddhist heretic: deny
nirvana.

Jamie