[Buddha-l] Emptiness and not being able to imagine dying [confused]

lemmett at talk21.com lemmett at talk21.com
Tue May 25 08:11:25 MDT 2010

>>>   In what sense can the emptiness of illusory existence be a
>>> conventional truth?
>
>> Conventional truth is, in the final analysis, the only truth there is.
>> The very idea of truth is conventional. The notion that there are two
>> truths is itself a conventional truth.

> Which is emptiness

No, what I described is not emptiness.

But the conventional truth is the identity of emptiness and existence, or how all our illusory truths are empty? I had reified 'emptiness'?
> If with that non-lingering there is no notion of truth what can vivify practice?

When practice is alive, there is no need for anything to vivify it. Only dead things need to be vivified. Forget truth. It's just another distraction.

Richard

So bodhisattvas are motivated by sentient beings' continued apprehension of defilement, or the suffering of others, not their ignorance?
I appreciate it and hope that I'm not posting too much - I didn't notice anything in the guidelines - and don't have so many questions.