[Buddha-l] Nietzsche was a bachelor (was: Batchelor)

Jackhat1 at aol.com Jackhat1 at aol.com
Thu May 20 12:34:33 MDT 2010

In a message dated 5/20/2010 10:24:23 A.M. Central Daylight Time,
joy.vriens at gmail.com writes:

My understanding of Nietzsche's will to power is the elemental force  of
> the universe as exemplified by living things, Bergson's elan vital,  the
> power
> of a plant to burst through the soil or a person's  mental and physical
> drive  toward health and  continuation.
>

> Nice. Has anyone compared this with the  trika or pratibhijna concept of
> svatantra ("absolute will")?
=======
Interesting that in Zarathustra.Nietzche lifts a parable  from
Samyuttanikaya 268-169:

"Bhikkhus, once there was an acrobat who set up his bamboo pole and  called
to his student, saying, "Come here and climb the pole and stand on my
shoulders," and the pupil did as he was told.

Then the bamboo acrobat said to his pupil, "Now, you take good care of me
and I'll take good care of you. By watching over and protecting each other
like this, we will show off our skills, get a good fee, and safely descend
from the bamboo pole."

At these words, the pupil said to his teacher, "Teacher, I don't think I
can do that. You look after yourself and I will look after myself. If we both
 watch and protect ourselves then we will be able to show our art, get a
good  fee, and safely descend the bamboo pole."

The Blessed One said, "That was the correct thing to do in that case:  Just
as that pupil spoke to his master, when thinking, 'I will protect  myself,'
you must be mindful, and when thinking, 'I will protect others,' you  must
also be mindful.

Bhikkhus, protecting yourself, you protect others; protecting others, you
protect yourself.

And how is it that while protecting yourself you protect others? By
earnest practice, development, training, and making the most of it. In this  way,
when you protect yourself, you protect others. And how do you protect
others by protecting yourself? By proper resolve {chanda), by non-violence,  by
possessing a heart of loving-kindness and compassion. In this way,
protecting others, you protect yourself.

Bhikkhus, when thinking, 'I will protect myself,' you must be mindful.
When thinking, 'I will protect others,' you must also be mindful. In this way,
protecting yourself can be called protecting others, and protecting others
can  be called protecting yourself."

Jack