[Buddha-l] Batchelor

JKirkpatrick jkirk at spro.net
Thu May 20 09:39:54 MDT 2010

quoting from SB:
>[...] Instead of opening to the contingent, empty nature of
things, we
> endlessly seek for identity, security and permanence. But this
sets us
> in a vicious circle, since in our quest for happiness we are
evading
> Reality. In German, Batchelor notes, a vicious circle is a
> Teufelskreis, a 'devil's circle': it is the devil who deceives
us into
> circling, getting nowhere. In Buddhism this devil is called
Mara.

I understand that this image of the Devil is a poetical
expression.
Batchelor's use of ' contingency' is however at least confusing.
Pratītyasamutpāda is a relation between events, while contingency
means that there's no relation at all. A philosopher for whom
contingency was very important was J-P Sartre. He liked movies
very much and observed that the difference between a movie and
reality is that reality has no director, so contingency is the
trademark of the real. Has Batchelor been reading Sartre?

erik
He does refer to Sartre here and there, also Camus as I recall--
I ignore references to the French existentialists, especially
Sartre. Not neccesary for understanding what SB is writing about.

Joanna