[Buddha-l] Nietzsche was a bachelor (was: Batchelor)

Dan Lusthaus vasubandhu at earthlink.net
Wed May 19 13:42:30 MDT 2010

Richard wrote:
"Although it is well known that Nietzsche knew little about Buddhism, I
think if he had known about Buddhism what scholars today know of it, he
would have hated it even more than the wimpy, life-fearing Buddhism he
imagined on the basis of the scanty evidence available to Europeans of his
day."

If Nietzsche's actual philosophy did indeed resemble that caricature of
sadism unbridled, then perhaps, but the Ubermensch is also an ironic ideal.
He does, for instance, practice restraint, but because of an overflow of his
power (why bother with triflings), rather than fear of reprisal or
self-inflicted moral reciprocities. For Nietzsche, the hug between two
boxers after a hard-fought bout would be a more authentic expression of
mutual admiration and respect than 1000 shopkeeper pleasantries. Nor do we
have to imagine for him what he might have thought of Jesus, since in his
essay _The Anti-Christ_ he spells that out for us. Jesus is an idiot-savant,
whose power, as with all power, comes from effecting a major reversal in the
way people think. While it's true that Jesus is one of those at the hub of a
major reversal from master morality to slave morality (that was already
taking place in India and elsewhere, according to Nietzsche), he doesn't
find the master morality variety any more attractive than the slave kind.
Its only therapeutic value is its history and potential for additional
reversals. It is too strong, too insensitive, even for Nietzsche. Slave
morality is a reaction, a repression of that -- and it can't be repressed.

Why?

The urge to overcome is a simple and basic fact of physics for Nietzsche.
Any morality that extols self-crippling out of a superstitious fear that not
doing so will fail to force others to not reciprocate, is doomed to breed
unhappy, resentful slaves. That's why Richard is compelled to include snide
remarks directed at me in messages that have nothing whatsoever to do with
me at all. And why he resents Republicans (I just disagree with them).

Dan