[Buddha-l] Batchelor

ahbadiner at igc.apc.org ahbadiner at igc.apc.org
Wed May 19 05:27:51 MDT 2010

Many thanks to Joanna Kirkpatrick for isolating (in my view) some the
most important and revolutionary of Batchelor's ideas. This is no less
significant than the First Noble Truth-- it may be, in fact, the very
heart of that truth.

So much of human behavior can be seen as a kind of flight from
contingency. Full recognition of contingency is suggested to be the
essence of awakening and the diminution of suffering. Yet, in the
effort to keep suffering at bay, our tragic error is to push away from
contingency which in turn creates more suffering.

--Allan Badiner