[Buddha-l] Batchelor

Bob Woolery drbob at comcast.net
Mon May 17 20:52:02 MDT 2010

I had previously understood that the doctrines of karma, reincarnation, and
being bound to a wheel of perpetual rebirth, seeking to escape, were notions
that permeated the general intellectual climate at the time of the Buddha.

  I expect he accommodated these in much the same way he is said to have
accommodated the concerns of one group of new adherents that a Naga, some
kind of shapeshifting snake, might seek to join, to the detriment of the
Sangha.  Accordingly, applicants were required to state that they were not a
Naga in disguise.

  Noting that some contemporary tribal groups are known as Nagas, I wonder
if there is a connection.

Bob Woolery, DC
326 deAnza dr
Vallejo, CA  94589