[Buddha-l] 9. Attadiipaa Sutta (Joy Vriens)

Dan Lusthaus vasubandhu at earthlink.net
Tue May 11 12:29:49 MDT 2010

> Thanks, Lance, for doing what the rest of us were too lazy to do: type
> 'island' into the
> search at access to insight and watch as the verses come up.

Joanna,
Better would be http://www.bodhgayanews.net for searches in Pali.

If you put attadīpā (plural form) in the search box, you will get 9 hits
(not counting the title of the attadipa sutta, which would make it ten).
Three in the Digha Nikaya, five in the Samyutta, and one in a post-Nikaya
text, the Sotabbamalini.

If one does a search for dīpa alone, adjusting for different grammatical
forms, one founds many instances, including *numerous* instances in the
Apadāna, etc. A search for the 3 letter combo dīp yields 1966 hits, from
which false positives would have to be weeded out.

In a discussion that tended to reinforce the idea that the term occurs only
twice, pointing out that at least seven additional instances are to be found
justifies (for me) the use of the word "numerous." And these additional
seven do not include the Sn and Ap. citations given by Lance.

Dan