[Buddha-l] Back to Ithaca

Joy Vriens joy.vriens at gmail.com
Tue May 11 11:44:21 MDT 2010

One last time, promised.

Can dvi-appa apart from the sense "between two waters", also mean midwater,
between two shores? E.g. half way between Samsara and Nirvana? The Buddha's
monks took their refuge in the Buddha as a source of Dhamma. Guided by the
Buddha, they have left Samsara, since they became bikkhus, but haven't
reached Nirvana yet. They are midwater, the Buddha and his Dhamma being
their island. The Buddha is about to die, their island is about to
disappear, so they worry about finding themselves without an island between
the two shores. Then the Buddha teaches the atta dipa sutta. Dhammapada 236
becomes more meaningful too. "Make an island for yourself. Hasten and
strive. Be wise. With the dust of impurities blown off, and free from sinful
passions, you will come unto the glorious land of the great."

Although (Lance's) the Pārāyaṇa of the Suttanipāta (Sn 1092) seems to
suggest the island IS nibbana.
        Those who are overcome by old age and death
        are standing in a lake ... when a deadly flood has arisen.
        Tell me, sir, of an island for them
        and announce to me an island such that this might be no more.

The answer is:

        Having nothing, taking nothing is that island with no match.
        I declare that it is nibbāna, the complete destruction of old
age and death.

Joy