[Buddha-l] 9. Attadiipaa Sutta (Joy Vriens)

Richard Hayes rhayes at unm.edu
Sun May 9 08:44:19 MDT 2010

On May 9, 2010, at 12:08 AM, Joy Vriens wrote:

> I have been looking for other occurrences but seem to stumble
> invariably on the same problem of a crooked metaphor that doesn't work
> with the rest of the image if island is chosen as a translation
> (leaving the commentary out of consideration).

All the instances you cite make a great deal of sense to me when 'dīpa' is interpreted as island. They pose no problems whatsoever. What I recommend is that, since the text is ambiguous and thus allows for more than one interpretation, choose the interpretation that works for you, and don't worry about whether another interpretation works better for someone else.

> Please save me from heresy.

Why?

Richard