[Buddha-l] 9. Attadiipaa Sutta (Joy Vriens)

Joy Vriens joy.vriens at gmail.com
Fri May 7 22:33:17 MDT 2010

Hi Mitchell,

Thanks for confirming this. The meaning of light is more obvious to
me, a lot more.
If we approach this aphorism with the Tarzan linguistics method ("Me
Tarzan, you Jane") or with basic maths, its very obvious that atta and
dhamma have the same function and are put on a par. It could be the
Buddha (atta) speaking about his ("inner") Buddha. The Buddha is light
as the Dhamma is light. The Buddha is the dhamma(kaaya). The Dhamma is
Paticcasamuppāda. Hence the Buddha (atta) and the Dhamma and the light
that leads us are Paticcasamuppāda. There is no other refuge/light
than that.

In Tibetan (from a terma found in the shed in my backyard):

bdag ni sgron mer gnas pas//
bdag la'ang skyabs su song cig //
de las skyobs pa gzhan med//

dam chos sgron me yin pas//