[Buddha-l] Aura and after-image

JKirkpatrick jkirk at spro.net
Thu May 6 17:55:42 MDT 2010

Hi Jack
Thanx--I also understood that nimiita means simply a "sign" in
the semiotic sense
Joanna
===============================

In a message dated 5/6/2010 2:49:45 P.M. Central Daylight Time,
jkirk at spro.net writes:

Hi Weng Fai,
Please inform me about use of nimitta in  meditation--what
exactly is one doing if using  it?
Thanks
Joanna
============
I'm not Weng Fai but in deep concentration the object of
meditation  might drop away and a sign might replace it. For
instance,the Visud.says a  small light might appear. Then one can
learn to manipulate this light. Make it smaller or larger, for
example.

My  understanding is that nimitta means "the sign of".

Jack

Question:

In the Vannupatha-jataka ("The sandy road  jataka" translation by
Caroline A.F. Rhys Davids), the second para has this  statement:

"But he was unable to bring forth either aura or  after-image."

What are the original Pali words for "aura" and  "after-image"?
Is this connected to the current buzzword "nimitta" in
meditation.

And on the subject of nimitta, some says "the Buddha never
talked about nimitta as it is used today in the context of
meditation, it was solely invented by Buddhaghosa in the
Visuddhimagga".  True or false?

W.F.  Wong