[Buddha-l] Hope

Mike Austin mike at lamrim.org.uk
Thu Mar 18 07:50:06 MDT 2010

Weng-Fai Wong <wongwf at comp.nus.edu.sg> writes
>Following the interesting discussion on faith and beliefs, I would like to
>hear what people think of HOPE... Obama sells it, religions and TV ads
>peddle it, so is it just wishful thinking? An act of desperation? A panacea
>or an aspirin for suffering?

It is a coincidence that you mention this today.  Our local inter faith
group holds a Civic Inter Faith Celebration this evening by invite from
the Lord Mayor. For this year's topic, 'Hope' was chosen.

At the time of choosing, I was completely flummoxed what to do from the
Buddhist side. As it happens, I am otherwise occupied and another group
will be contributing.  They will recite Refuge,  the Four Immeasurables
and Dedication of Merit. That seems to be as near as one could get.

--
Metta
Mike Austin