[Buddha-l] Batchelor

JKirkpatrick jkirk at spro.net
Tue Mar 16 10:57:29 MDT 2010

Well said, Joy. I tried to read the Pensées, but got lost in
translation.
JK
=====================

> Voltaire : " l'intérêt que j'aie à croire à une chose n'est pas
une preuve de l'existence de cette chose ".

Pascal, who was neither "indécent" or "puéril", never pretended
to prove the existence of God. His wager shows the advantage of
believing in God or rather of living one's life according to that
belief. Pascal's God was not the caricature that Voltaire or
others thought he believed in. If one doesn't see that, one is
totally missing Pascal's point.
As for Pascal's wager clearly lacking intelligence, I disagree.
Generally, having an optimistic outlook on things rather than a
pessimistic one, makes for a happier person. In both cases the
things have the same truth for those for whom truth and proof of
truth are important. When one has a naive view of God, like most
atheists have, it may be important to know whether she really
exists or not, so that one doesn't exhaust oneself trying to lead
a good life *for nothing*... All ideals, noble or less noble,
fail in the department of truth. Believing in Peace? Childish,
but I will take the wager. Nirvana, cessation of suffering? Can
you prove such a thing exists? I don't care, but I will play.
Rien ne va plus.

I read Pascal's apology (Pensées) twice. Once like Voltaire must
have read him. The second time with an open mind trying to go
beyond the terminology.
I found him very inspiring. The man's style (in French) is
sublime and his thinking is crystal clear. Of course he has his
beliefs, but who hasn't.

Joy

To "prove" that Pascal's wager can be won during one's life :
"Joie, Joie, Joie, pleurs de joie" and "Eternellement en joie
pour un jour d'exercice sur la terre". From : Le Mémorial de
Blaise Pascal