[Buddha-l] Brahma & Abraham

Joy Vriens joy.vriens at gmail.com
Mon Mar 8 06:51:43 MST 2010

Hi Joanna,

If you'll reflect for a minute, the Buddha was very sensitive to

> local customs, as reflected in various vinaya rules, for ex., and
> as I've also stressed a few times on this list.

Exactly the point I was trying to make apart from the fact that I don't know
whether it was the Buddha himself who was sensitive to them.

> You are addressing the wrong person with this remark: "I don't
> see the Vinaya as a sort of Revelation." In fact, who on this
> list does, pray tell?

I wasn't addressing anyone in particular with this opinion and my
telepathical powers being quite limited (e.g. I completely mischanneled
Dan), I can't tell you who on this list does see the Vinaya as a sort of
Revelation. I have read very recently (not on this list) opinions on the
Australian bhikkhuni ordination that do seem to consider the Vinaya as a
sort of Revelation or untouchable law.

> In case you are getting ready for another long argument, leave me
> out of it.

May I refer you to http://tinyurl.com/yc9nwca ?

Joy*
*