[Buddha-l] Brahma & Abraham

JKirkpatrick jkirk at spro.net
Sun Mar 7 12:53:49 MST 2010

Hi Joy

If you'll reflect for a minute, the Buddha was very sensitive to
local customs, as reflected in various vinaya rules, for ex., and
as I've also stressed a few times on this list.

You are addressing the wrong person with this remark: "I don't
see the Vinaya as a sort of Revelation." In fact, who on this
list does, pray tell?

In case you are getting ready for another long argument, leave me
out of it.

Joanna

4. The reasons for allowing or refusing bhikkhunis in the sangha
or the general attitude towards women and the compliance with the
original precepts of Vinaya have more to do with local customs
and religious legislation than with personal choices of the
Buddha (that we don't know anything about, see dogma #1). If on
the basis of these locally and historically bound precepts a
sangha of bhikkhunis becomes impossible, then it should be
possible to adapt them. I don't see the Vinaya as a sort of
Revelation.

At some time there must have been debate around the moksa status
of women, but not necessarily at the Buddha's time (dogma #1).

Joy