[Buddha-l] Non-arising

David Andrews david.andrews at sympatico.ca
Mon Mar 1 21:43:48 MST 2010

Hello Dan,

Thank you very much for taking the time to answer my questions.

I think it only fair to point out that few working mathematicians are
likely to believe that mathematical arguments become in any sense better
by being 'purified' of content. (I'm not even sure if they would mean
anything at all so purified. Granted that I haven't looked into
literature on the subject written after the nineties.) Gödel would, I
think, have objected quite strenuously, since his incompleteness
theorems rely on commonly accepted intuitions that apply to the standard
model of integers, whose existence he would have accepted as a proponent
of mathematical Platonism.

I do agree, however, that at least part of the thrust of the more
canonical forms of logic (e.g., first order predicate calculus) is to
throw light on (if not to fully capture) the idea of mathematical proof,
not to capture the kinds of syllogisms that you discuss.

The example you gave would seem to covered, at least in part, by the
traditional distinction between inductive rather than deductive
processes, touching as it does on drawing conclusions about the real
world based on limited observations of it. I'm no expert on the
philosophy of science, but I don't think one can go very far down that
road without running into the problems that seem to me to have derailed
the Logical Positivist program. But I suppose that road would also
diverge rather quickly from any historical Buddhist analysis.

I do agree, however, with your point that defining smoke as being that
which is produced by fire is certainly a pointless distraction from the
inductive force of Dignaga's argument. I'm not sure, however, that the
objection on purely tautological grounds is justified given the
historical importance of definitions in mathematics. (I am thinking, for
example, of the critical importance of the definition of a notions like
'function', 'ordinal' and 'open set' to the development of set theory
and to the history of mathematics.)

Well, I know that all my questions can't be answered through an email
discussion.

It would helpful if you could provide me some references to the
literature. My specific interest would be the comparative analysis of
historical treatments of so-called Buddhist logic and modern treatments
of logic in a more general sense of the term.

Thanks,

David.