[Buddha-l] Review of a review

Franz Metcalf franz at mind2mind.net
Sat Jun 26 14:13:44 MDT 2010

Richard,

Thank you for that extended reflection on war and Buddhism. I agreed
with much of it and so won't comment on all that--agreement is so
dull! And who wants to talk about your insight and courage in the face
of delusion and collusion, anyway?

But I will ask you a pointed question: What do you think of the
American Zen community's decades of non-examination of Yasutani
Roshi's antisemitism? To me this seems a good example of what Tikhonov
calls "see no evil" in his review. I could give other examples of this
mentality, Buddha knows, but this one ties nicely to warfare. The
failure of Zen practitioners, even supposedly awakened ones, to see
this teacher's failure is not "systematic" in terms of Buddhist
history, I acknowledge. Still, I think it does approach a kind of
systematic and willful ignorance of Buddhist history/reality/dharma
*as embodied in the teacher*. And that embodiment is the sine qua non
of Zen, so such failures are central and disturbing.

But then I am a historian, not a philosopher.

Franz