[Buddha-l] the 4 ages: age of alone

Timothy Smith smith at wheelwrightassoc.com
Mon Jun 21 08:58:20 MDT 2010

I think 'home' here is a metaphor for wholeness, for the lost connection with the )Self which, I might venture,
is the source of all dissatisfaction.  If by the abyss we mean an encounter with the Self and the ensuing ego-diminishment, yeah scary, but ultimately
necessary and unavoidable.  Better to be conscious of it than not.

Nostalgia indicates or points toward the necessity of this encounter, just as (obligatory Buddhist content here) the 4 NT begin with this same realization.

In Edinger's thrall,

Timothy Smith
Office/Mobile 831.624.8138
Fax  831.659-5112