[Buddha-l] Ethical Dilemmas

Erik Hoogcarspel jehms at xs4all.nl
Sun Jun 13 07:53:43 MDT 2010

Op 13-06-10 15:08, Alex Wilding schreef:
> Might I raise my head long enough to ask whether there is a shred of
> anything more substantial than sheer speculation in this? Is it anything
> more than the proverbial "French philosophy"?
> AW

Well, the anthropological examples that Girard gives in order to
substantiate his hypothesis are rather one sided. It is true of course
that competition is a very common cause for war, but this is not always
based on jealousy, but also on scarcity of important goods. If you take
for instance the Trojan war, according to the epos it was caused by
jealousy, investigations showed that it was probably about economic
hegemony and the trade on tin.
Girard writes as if his logic is the universal essence of any war in any
culture and his anthropological knowledge often falls short to check the
details, so he cannot imagine he could be wrong.

erik