[Buddha-l] Ethical Dilemmas

Dan Lusthaus vasubandhu at earthlink.net
Sun Jun 13 07:14:30 MDT 2010

Joy,

>"According to René Girard, human culture has been founded on two
>principles,
>which he calls "mimetic rivalry" and the "surrogate victim mechanism."

The first he takes from Erich Auerbach -- whose book Mimesis is still a
classic.
 http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Erich_Auerbach

The idea of "a long series of primal murders, repeated endlessly" he takes
from Freud who postulated this as an originary taboo trauma, particularly as
parricide.

> I still don't see what you meant by bugs and bug exterminators...

Did you follow the link to the story about the grasshoppers?

Dan