[Buddha-l] Ethical Dilemmas

Erik Hoogcarspel jehms at xs4all.nl
Fri Jun 11 01:49:23 MDT 2010

Op 10-06-10 22:06, Barnaby Thieme schreef:
> Not that I have anything against ethical behavior -- I just think psychology is a better framework for assessing it than philosophy or religious doctrine.

Hi Barnaby
you are right: what someone does does not depend on ethics, but on
his/her psychological condition. Ethics is philosophy, it is reflection
and discussion. So the answere of the Dalai Lama should have been 'ask
me afterwards', because only then the discussion starts. Only then do
you ask yourself the question 'do I have to apologize or can I be proud
of myself?'
Of course you can try to live by ethical standards, f.i. eat vegetarian
food, not carry a gun, be polite and even compassionate, but ethical
standards are the result of ethical reflection. Btw I see that many
people think that ethics has something to do with religion, but I think
this is a mistake. A rule of behavior does not become ethically
justified because it has been sanctioned by some religious authority. In
general religions tend to prescribe rather absolute rules that have to
be obeyed blindly, so they ignore individual responsibility and without
responsibility no ethics is possible.

erik