[Buddha-l] Being unable to imagine dying [confused]

Jackhat1 at aol.com Jackhat1 at aol.com
Wed Jun 9 15:01:20 MDT 2010

It would help if you would delineate your response more from the message
you are responding to. I get confused.  I enjoy your comments and  thinking.

jack

In a message dated 6/9/2010 3:49:53 P.M. Central Daylight Time,
lemmett at talk21.com writes:

>Dan,>>>You keep devising elaborate ways to reassure  yourself that there
is some
sort of continuance after death, as if it were  a matter of outsmarting a
certain logical puzzle. And then you ask others  (e.g., listmembers) for
confirmation and reassurance. Logical tricks and  banking on "ineffability"
or "inconceivability" to act as tacit guarantees  for what you want them to
signify and provide won't get the job  done
in saying that I don't understand what I read.>>I have  in deed considered
whether this alleged inconceivability of death guarantees  continuance but
that's not my concern now because I can accept that it is  un-Buddhist to
have views on a person continuing or not. >>What I am  trying to ask is whether
the belief that annihilation is inconceivable is not  Buddhist<<. Do you
mean that trying to reconcile inconceivability  with Buddhist doctrine is
necessarily atma-drsti or if the idea of  inconceivability itself is atma-drsti?
Or is that question itself  atma-drsti?>Sorry if I've misunderstood what
you mean but if not I have  nothing else to ask.>Not that I'm about to say
that death's conceivability  is entirely irrelevant, just I suppose to anything
Buddhist.>Best  wishes