[Buddha-l] Bot being able to imagine annihilation [confused]

Bob Zeuschner rbzeuschner at roadrunner.com
Tue Jun 1 13:25:54 MDT 2010

I've been teaching about Buddhism for about 35 years, and I do not
recall ever using the term "annihilation" in my lectures.
I do explain that "Nirvana" is to "blow out" or "extinguish" the flames
of egoistic possessiveness, anger/hatred, and ignorance/confusion.
There is no _atman_ which continues after death, but popular Buddhism
certainly finds a continuous flowing process continuing after the death
of this body.
I prefer the Buddha's silence concerning the issue of what happens to
the arhant after death, or the parable of the poisoned arrow.
Personally, I'm more a Taoist on the issue. Personal ego stops, but
rejoins the ever-flowing Tao. No individual life after death.
Bob