[Buddha-l] mindful/mindfulness

L.S. Cousins selwyn at ntlworld.com
Sat Jul 31 00:46:06 MDT 2010

  I would define sati as that mental activity which enables us to
remember i.e. not the remembering itself but something which facilitates
memory. It is certainly associated with attentiveness, but you can be
attentive and remember nothing of it afterwards. So it is a kind of
general awareness that arises from the ability to clearly recognize what
is going on, but doesn't of itself necessarily understand the
implications of whatever is happening. I would think that alertness is
closer to appamāda.

Lance