[Buddha-l] Maybe I was wrong

Franz Metcalf franz at mind2mind.net
Tue Jul 27 16:09:08 MDT 2010

Gang,

On Jul 27, 2010, at 12:14 PM, Dan Lusthaus wrote:

> Those days, if you wanted a career and a job and to
> get published, the sooner you distanced yourself from
> philosophy the more successful you'd be.
>
> Let's hope you and your cohorts will make all these
> complaints obsolete, and the sooner the better.

I respect your sincerity (and the Richards') about the importance of
philosophy in the the field of Buddhist Studies. Still, I have to say
that listening to philosophers complaining about this threat is a bit
like listening to Christians complaining about the threat to
Christianity in America. Sure, there's some diminution of domination
there, but from my perspective as a psychologist/anthropologist of
Buddhism, you're still doing fine.

Am I so out of touch that I missed it when my side won this war?

Franz