[Buddha-l] Was the Buddha mentally ill?

Joy Vriens joy.vriens at gmail.com
Tue Jul 27 02:32:57 MDT 2010

On Mon, Jul 26, 2010 at 11:40 PM, Lidewij Niezink <lidewij at gmail.com> wrote:

> Or 'the depression epidemic' by Trudy Dehue, 2008.
>
> ADHD will be 'norm' by the time DSMV will appear (2011 I believe,
> they're working on it).

70% of the task force members have reported direct industry ties... Perhaps
more transparant but 70%...

New market possibilities after the *H1* N1 virus, which learns us what the
links between pharmaceutical industry, "independent" expertise and
government politics can lead to wasting 1,5 billion euro (in France).

"Although the APA has since instituted a disclosure policy for DSM-5 task
force members, many still believe the Association has not gone far enough in
its efforts to be transparent and to protect against industry
influence [24]<http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/DSM-5#cite_note-23>.
In a recent Point/Counterpoint
article,[25]<http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/DSM-5#cite_note-24>Lisa
Cosgrove, PhD and Harold J. Bursztajn, MD noted that "the fact that
70%
of the task force members have reported direct industry ties---an increase
of almost 14% over the percentage of DSM-IV task force members who had
industry ties---shows that disclosure policies alone, especially those that
rely on an honor system, are not enough and that more specific safeguards
are needed." David Kupfer, MD, chair of the DSM-5 task force, and Darrel A.
Regier, MD, MPH, Vice Chair of the task force, countered that "collaborative
relationships among government, academia, and industry are vital to the
current and future development of pharmacological treatments for mental
disorders." They asserted that the development of DSM-5 is the "most
inclusive and transparent developmental process in the 60-year history of
DSM." The developments to this new version can be viewed on
[2]<http://www.psych.org/MainMenu/Research/DSMIV/DSMV.aspx>.
In June 2009 Allen Frances, head of the DSM-IV task force, issued
strongly-worded criticisms of the processes leading to DSM-5 and the risk of
"serious, subtle, (…) ubiquitous" and "dangerous" unintended consequences
such as new "false 'epidemics'". He writes that "the work on DSM-V has
displayed the most unhappy combination of soaring ambition and weak
methodology" and is concerned about the task force's "inexplicably closed
and secretive process."[26]<http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/DSM-5#cite_note-25>.
His and Spitzer's concerns about the contract that the APA drew up for
consultants to sign, agreeing not to discuss drafts of the fifth edition
beyond the task force and committees, have also been aired and
debated. [27]<http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/DSM-5#cite_note-26>
"
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/DSM-5

Joy