[Buddha-l] Dharmapala

Dan Lusthaus vasubandhu at earthlink.net
Sun Jul 18 23:44:53 MDT 2010

Lance,

> No-one who has studied as much Yogācāra as you can be unaware of the
> sophistication of traditional Buddhist understandings of these things.
> So why this black-and-white dichotomy ?

No black-and-white dichotomy except in the eyes of some beholders. That the
psychological, demythologized readings spring out first to us moderns, as
unavoidable and decisive, is the reason that this modern impulse sometimes
needs to be counterbalanced with reminders that other levels of meaning were
accepted as much on face value as we today embrace the psychologized mode.

While suddenly everyone is disavowing that they would deny Buddha and the
early Buddhists (as well as some current Buddhists) their beliefs in devas,
yaksas, etc., this is a recurrent issue. As someone also considered
something of an expert on the Chinese pilgrim and translator Xuanzang
(Hsuan-tsang) I cannot recount how many times I have been asked -- by
knowledgeable and sincere people -- how could he believe in that silly
"superstitious" stuff (Avalokitesvara, devas, dream portents, etc.), since
he was obviously so sophisticated and philosophically astute. Because they
hold an underlying assumption that "sophisticated and philosophically
astute" somehow is isomorphic with a post-Enlightenment Rationality as it
has developed in the West in recent centuries, they stymie themselves with
this sort of black and white dichotomy.

We think the more quickly we move past surface level meaning, the more
"sophisticated" our reading, a byproduct of anagogic hermeneutics. My post
was a simple reminder that the supposedly "deeper" levels do not erase the
surface level, and certainly not merely for the convenience of a modern
sensibility that finds some elements in the narrative uncomfortable or
alien.

>> Do you
>> think that
>> Buddha believed such things as Brahmas, devas, yaksas, etc. exist,
>
> I am sure he did.

Me, too.

> But the interaction between the accounts of meditative states and
> accounts of heavens, etc. is built in. So it is not as simple as you are
> trying to make it.

I'm not trying to make it simple at all. Just trying to make sure an
important dimension doesn't get neglected.

>>Do Sri Lankan Buddhists today
>> believe in
>> them? (answer: many do).
>
> Many certainly do. But not all. And many describe their experiences of
> interactions with such entities. So they are certainly real as
> experiences.

That's exactly right.

> Your analysis basically trivializes the early Buddhist scriptures. I am
> reminded of the missionary attack on the Buddhist scriptures in 19th
> century Ceylon which led eventually to the Panadura debate where the
> Buddhists tuned the tables by applying the same kind of analysis to the
> Bible.

You are basically attempting to trivialize my analysis by conflating it
missionaries and their motives. I am not a Christian missionary. I am not
even a Christian. And I am not trying to undermine Buddhism, which is
obviously what you think you feel called upon to defend from my imagined
attack.

On the contrary, I am intrigued by these episodes which, despite being
isolated instances, did spawn further development in later Buddhist
communities -- and precisely offered some of the canonical basis for
large-scale Buddhist-sanctioned violence, such as putting the Gelugpas into
power. What intrigues is NOT that fact (though suppressing it or trying to
pretend it's all a mistake, or just "farting" as Erik suggests, is simply
putting hands over one's ears and humming to oneself in order not to hear
what is going on), but rather a fact that I consider much more important,
namely that despite having a textual basis for forced conversions, violence
done in the name of religious authority (and Vajrapani plays EXACTLY that
role later on), in most times and places Buddhists opted NOT to avail
themselves of this. Why and how that is the case is what is important, but
one cannot even begin to analyze that without first acknowledging that this
is a legitimate issue.

Similarly, one can try to minimize the violence done by Duṭṭhagāmaṇi, or
quibble over whether the relic is in or on a lance or spear or staff.
However the quibbling resolves, in the end, the story itself remains one of
Buddhism establishing itself by military means -- one of the cornerstones of
Duṭṭhagāmaṇi's redemptive remorse is that he feels everything he did (viz.
the killing, etc.) was done for Buddhism and the Dhamma, not for self-gain
or personal conquest.

The relic, like bringing the monks along on the march, serves a protective
talismanic function. One may also wish to minimize this story -- with its
redemptive conclusion for someone with a lot of blood on his hands in the
name of protecting and promoting Buddhism -- by questioning its historicity,
canonicity, etc., but the basic fact is that, as ven. Vimaladhajja explains
in the Kent essay it is a preferred topic for sermons given by monks to
soldiers.

Living Buddhism is not in the philological debates a handful of scholars
have with each other, but much more in the sermons that disseminate the
"message" and keep Buddhism alive and relevant to actual Buddhists. And the
indications are that it has always been so -- the number of sermons and
their edifying topics among the Gandharan mss. attests to that as well.
Quibbling of this word or that keeps us scholars amused and alert, but that
is not the substance of sermons where the oral creativity of the sermon
giver and malleability of the story play a key role. I remember many years
ago a Theravadin monk giving his account of Buddha denying omiscience from
the Tevijjavacchagotta sutta of the Majjhima. In his recounting, Buddha
responds to Vacchagotta's query as to whether it is true that the Buddha
knows all things, what is in everyone's mind at all times, etc., by saying:
"I have no such sickness!" Now, of course, the original text does not have
exactly this line -- which is a shame, since it is brilliant, and an
improvement on what the text actually says.

The point is that once "stories" move into the oral dissemination mode, they
modify, become more relevant, take on novel aspects, etc. Once these
modified versions become entrenched, and thus repeated and ingrained in the
cultural imagination, it makes little to no difference whether the events
(Huineng, Vajrapani, Duṭṭhagāmaṇi, etc.) actually took place, or happened
exactly as recorded in this or that text, or this or that version of the
story in this or the other text. The version -- undergoing endless
modifications -- in the cultural imagination is the one that counts, that is
"real" for its community. That, for better or worse, is the nature of
Scripture and how Scripture -- as imagined -- can provide the authoritative
basis for a story that may not only veer from it but may directly contradict
it.

In my World Religion courses I have made students read the first three
chapters of Genesis very carefully. To their surprise, they learn, among
things, that no apple is mentioned, that Eve already knew the difference
between good and bad (food) before ever eating from the Tree of Knowledge of
Good and Evil, that the serpent is treated throughout as a clever animal,
not the devil, that there is no mention of Original Sin anywhere, and --
probably most shocking -- the only character who never lies or exaggerates
in the story is the serpent (God threatens Adam that they will drop dead the
day they eat the fruit; that doesn't happen, the explanation for why left to
exegetes to imagine). These and more discrepancies between the actual
Biblical text and the Sunday school version they all learned are made clear.
Finally, after several classes discussing these discrepencies, I ask for a
show of hands: Now that you know what the actual text says, henceforth which
version of the story will you believe -- the one in the Bible itself or the
one you learned in Sunday school. They vote virtually unanimously for the
Sunday School version, even when reminded that it actually contradicts the
Biblical account on numerous points.

> This unique and very unusual pericope is found on only the two occasions
> in a very large literature. So you are blowing it up out of all
> proportion.

No. These are not forgotten pericopes lost among countless other obscure and
little remembered passages and episodes from the scriptures. These were
remembered and developed by the Buddhist communities themselves. Just as Sri
Lankan monks using the story of Duṭṭhagāmaṇi as a preferred sermon topic
raises that above being just another obscure, better left forgotten story in
the dusty Buddhist literature, to something currently vital, Buddhists
expanding on these pericopes and eventually using their byproducts as
justifications for the slaughter of 'heretics' makes these pericopes
important subjects for study. Arguing that they were misreading the text may
provide some satisfaction on some level, but doesn't undo the history, nor
finally negate the fact that many Buddhists decided to read the texts
otherwise, just as the later commentators decided to treat Vajrapani as a
proper name (assuming it wasn't initially). Such "misreadings" can have
enduring and substantial effects: Arguing that the notion of Original Sin is
an Augustinian misreading (as his contemporary Churchmen argued at the time)
will neither eliminate nearly 2000 years of Christian theology nor influence
the spiritual lives of Christians today. That misreading has become
indelible.

Jerryson's essay on the contemporary Thai soldier-monks proposes a simple
notion that is worth considering in this regard. While we all agree that
there has been a strong pacifist line to Buddhism, there nonetheless have
been periods -- among all forms of Buddhism -- where violence and ways of
sanctioning it have occurred. There is what Jerryson calls a "latent"
militarism that only emerges in certain types of circumstances and
occasions. It would be important to study and analyze what those
circumstances are -- again, something impossible to do if one pretends they
don't exist or are not worth examining carefully.

>This fits the common
> pattern of pairing a psychological description (dhammādhiṭṭhāna) with a
> description in terms of a deity (puggalādhiṭṭhāna). So it is a fairly
> natural development.

I have no disagreement with this. Just trying to make sure the latter isn't
neglected.

> We might want to give this a psychological interpretation: guilt and
> internal conflict generates the vision of a hostile entity. Whether
> mental states correspond to something out there is a whole other issue.

And we might want to propose other psychological interpretations, or propose
interpretations that are not merely psychological. (I will illustrate why
that may be important from an ethical standpoint in a different post, when I
get a chance)

> [Interestingly Dhammapāla's subcommentary asks: "Why is Vajirapāṇi
> standing there ? Feeling compassion like the Lord, he has fashioned a
> large and fearful body and stands in the air in front of Saccaka holding
> a vajira, thinking that he will scare Saccaka and dispel this wrong
> view. He has no desire to split Saccaka's head; for no-one can be harmed
> in  front of the Lord."]

Since this directly contradicts what the text has Vajirapani think -- the
original makes clear that he is not bluffing but ready to carry it through
should the silent one fail to speak up -- this is no more than the common
gesture of a commentator sanitizing the text, hoping to convince readers
that it doesn't say what it says. That is interesting, since it shows his
discomfort, and his attempt to assuage the discomfort of other readers. That
he is sufficiently discomforted to feel obliged to contradict the text
indicates that he sees something unacceptable there, something he is trying
to make go away.

> The terrified Saccaka seeks protection from the Lord and declares that
> he will answer the question. Although the word saraṇa is found, it is
> used in its general sense with two synonyms for a locus of protection.
> There is no conversion and no taking of refuges or becoming a disciple.
>
> The debate continues and Saccaka is further humbled. Eventually he asks
> the Buddha for further teachings. Finally he acknowledges that he had
> been bold and impudent in challenging the Buddha to debate.
>
> The discourse does not conclude with Saccaka becoming a disciple or
> taking refuge. However, he does invite the Buddha and his monks to a
> public meal and invites the nobles to participate. So Saccaka respects
> the Buddha after the debate but remains a Jain.

I am not convinced. This is the "Lesser" Saccaka sutta. It is followed by
the "Greater" Saccaka sutta. The discussion there feels very much like a
disciple asking questions. The commentaries say he had four sisters, all
skilled debaters as well (acquired from their Nigantha parents). They
debated Sariputta, were defeated and became Arhats. If they converted, why
didn't he?

Otherwise your summary of the sutta is fine. The one thing I would add is
that the 500 "nobles" are Licchavis -- a Warrior caste depicted in other
Buddhist texts as spartan, rough warrior types, skilled in archery and
martial arts, and that this violent, gruff atmosphere permeates the whole
sutta. When Buddha is defeating Saccaka, one of the Licchavis compares it
someone plucking off the legs of a crab when they pop out, which he
describes in vivid, cruel detail. Since the subject of "violence" itself is
never taken up, this remains a subtopic, though infusing the entire sutta --
leaving it to readers and commentators to sort out.

Dan