[Buddha-l] Dharmapala

L.S. Cousins selwyn at ntlworld.com
Sat Jul 17 12:58:41 MDT 2010

Artur Karp wrote:

> Wouldn't we stand on much surer ground, if we assumed that both the
>
> narratives, the Mhv's and the Jataka's, are modelled on some real
> state ceremonial?

I don't have any problem with the supposition that local ceremonial
customs in Ceylon are in part the model here. I suppose that might be
what you call 'state' by which I imagine you mean royal or princely, but
it could also be equally a question of local aristocratic families.

But that doesn't rule out a direct influence of Ja on Mhv. I assume that
the story of the Mahākapijātaka would have been known by heart to the
author of the Mahāvaṃsa. By and large Pali works are very much
interconnected with parallel versions of stories repeated again and again.

Lance