[Buddha-l] Buddhism and forced conversion

Piya Tan dharmafarer at gmail.com
Sat Jul 17 08:03:36 MDT 2010

Dear Lance,

Thanks for the sobering words.

The "head-splitting" reference is actually  found in about a dozen sutta
references, and a few more in the Jatakas and Miln. However, none of them
were ever effected, unlike in the BrhadAranyaka Upanisad (BU 3.9.26) see
Brian Black ("Ambattha & Svetaketu," 2007:23).

I think the head-splitting remark is (was) merely a figure, like in East
Asia, someone might say "You will lose your face," or something to that
effect.

I have included a short study on this figure in my annotated translation of
the Ambattha Sutta.

With metta & mudita,

Piya Tan