[Buddha-l] Dharmapala

Artur Karp karp at uw.edu.pl
Sat Jul 17 07:20:33 MDT 2010

2010/7/17 L.S. Cousins <selwyn at ntlworld.com>:

> Let me try again.
>
> There is no statement or suggestion in the Mahāvaṃsa that Duṭṭhagāmaṇi
> (or anyone else) went to battle with a relic on his lance.

On --- or, rather, inside his lance?

A lot depends on how one translates the verb nidhāpeti. Geiger has:
"put into", and, considering the meanings of words related to ni-dhā,
I would translate it similarly. A royal weapon containing a relic (of
the Buddha) makes for a powerful symbol, linking, metaphorically both,
the ideal king's and the Buddha's power.

> What is being described is a royal procession to the holy site of
> Tissamahārāma. This is based upon the model of a royal religious
> procession in a Jātaka story.

Yes, it is a royal procession. But its aim is - clearly - to gain
support of the Tissamahārāma's sangha for the war as planned by the
king.

XXV, 1-3

Duṭṭhagāmaṇirājā'tha katvāna janasaṅgahaṃ
Kunte dhātuṃ nidhāpetvā sayoggabalavāhano

Gantvā tissamahārāmaṃ vanditvā saṅghamabravī:
"Pāragaṅgaṃ gamassāmi jotetuṃ sāsanaṃ ahaṃ, -----------

Sakkātuṃ bhikkhavo detha amhehi saha gāmino;
Maṅgalañceva rakkhā ca bhikkhūnaṃ dassanaṃ hi no."

Geiger: "[...] Dutthagamani [...] said: 'I will go on to the land on
the further side of the river to bring glory to the doctrine. Give us,
that we may treat them with honour, bhikkhus who shall go on with us,
since the sight of bhikkhus is blessing and protection for us.' [...]

>  In that procession a relic is carried in
> front on the royal lance (used as a banner, if you like).

There is no mention of it in the text.

But in the Mhv XXVI a stupa is built over the holy lance, and the
stupa is in turn encircled by a vihara. What comes to mind is an
attempt to reduce the potential danger inherent in the imbalance
represented by the symbolic image of the king's power containing
within itself the power of the Buddha. The problem is solved when the
image of both the powers is finally enclosed in structures
representing the power of the Sangha.

> The idea of going to battle with a relic on his lance is derived from
> expectations associated with the familiar story of Constantine.

Not necessarily. I am not convinced. Mahavamsa, quite typically,
creates ideal situations, imbued with symbolic meanings.

Artur K.