[Buddha-l] Dharmapala

Dan Lusthaus vasubandhu at earthlink.net
Thu Jul 15 05:30:17 MDT 2010

With apologies and some befuddlement, for some reason, lots of extra spacing
between paragraphs entered my last posting between the time I pressed "send"
and its distribution to the list.

Also one paragraph got completely garbled, and should have read:

For some reason Nanamoli and Bodhi do not treat Vajrapāṇi as a name, and
instead translate it as "thunderbold-wielding"; yakkha they render "spirit."
In their annotation, they point out that the Pali commentary identifies this
yakkha as Sakka --  perhaps that being the reason they "hide" the name. In
the Skt version, Vajrapāṇi is Buddha's bodyguard, and ultimately considered
a manifestation of Buddha himself.

Dan