[Buddha-l] Buddhist funerals for pets in Thailand

JKirkpatrick jkirk at spro.net
Wed Jul 14 18:14:07 MDT 2010

http://www.buddhistchannel.tv/index.php?id=52,9327,0,0,1,0

......The monk chanted, asking Jiraporn and her family to repeat
after him: "This life cycle is completed. We pray that Bai Toey
be born in the next life blessed with prosperity and good health,
in a better form, like one of a human."

This is where I part with the teachings on animals. Animals,
insects, etc etc IMHO are in their existence innocently (since I
don't hold with literal rebirth). My opinion is as good as any
other because the reality of innocence or not of animals cannot
be proven. So, I see them as following  the sila in them by their
DNA.

They were all adjusted to the complex planet universe until we
came along. We sorry humans make pets of them sometimes, and add
them to our families (not to be confused with exploiting them for
gain, labor, or negative motives). I find it touching that some
Thais think of their pets as family members. Like follows
like----I have always done the same.

Joanna