[Buddha-l] Dharmapala

andy stroble at hawaii.edu
Wed Jul 14 03:24:02 MDT 2010

Ah, Dan, finally!
Eight points? The Eight-fold path of Buddhist violence?  Are you sure there is
no conspiracy?  It would match nicely with the idea that there has been a
conspiracy to portray Buddhism as a pacifist religion!   And we conspiracy
theorists are so attached to our theories.

More to the point, and having read the book, I still do not see how historical
practice affects the original teachings of Buddhism, and further, how this
practice would defuse the critical force of the teachings.  This goes back to
our long-standing attempt on this list to come up with a ground for
accusations of heresy, which is not, of course, very Buddhist of us.

I will try to address your other points when I have time.  Conspiracy theories
keep one rather busy!

Andy

--
James Andy Stroble, PhD