[Buddha-l] Dharmapala

andy stroble at hawaii.edu
Tue Jul 13 20:05:01 MDT 2010

On Tuesday 13 July 2010 03:52:43 pm Federico Andino wrote:

> One of the things that always bug me is "West". For example, I had met
> people from Europe and USA who doesn´t consider Latin America part of the
> west, and if by west you mean wasp, damn right it isn´t. What would
> constitute this mythical west that opposes the mythical orient?

Yes, it bothers me too!  And I was taught never to use the term.  Evidently, I
failed.   But this construct is a necessary part of the Orientalist critique.
My point might be that in the debate over Buddhist violence, the criticism of
imaginary Buddhism is in fact still a form of Orientalism.

And as an aside, at a conference on East-West philosophy, I was completely
confused by one speaker's use of the east-west distinction.   After  awhile,
it became clear that his line was the Berlin Wall.

--
James Andy Stroble, PhD
Lecturer in Philosophy

Adjunct Faculty
Diplomatic and Military Studies
Hawaii Pacific University

"The amount of violence at the disposal of any given country may soon not be a
reliable indication of the country's strength or a reliable guarantee against
destruction by a substantially smaller and weaker power."  --Hannah Arendt