[Buddha-l] Dharmapala

andy stroble at hawaii.edu
Tue Jul 13 01:58:09 MDT 2010

OK,  I have finished the recently published "Buddhism and Warfare",  and I
have several questions to pose to Buddha-l.  (And besides, seems quiet here
lately.)

First, Faure's concluding remarks are acceptable, but non-commital.  We seem
to be faced with a distinction between a posited Universal Buddhist Ethics
that is maintained by Victoria, and either a contextualism that says that
Buddhism is what it is in any particular cultural milieu, or a suggestion that
the underlying metaphysics of Buddhism is, as Faure puts it, violent and
sacrificial?

"could the dharma, or ultimate reality, be intrinsically violent? Would that
not explain figures such as Vajrapani and the "Bright Kings", emanations of
the cosmic Buddha, who are represented as fierce beings bent on destroying the
gods or demons they were supposed to convert or tame? " p. 223

So Secondly:  what support is there in Buddhism for the notion of the
"defense of the faith"?   I have multiple reservations about any claim that
there is such, outside of the normal institutional motivations. That would
only be contextual Buddhism.

The co-option of indigenious divinities makes sense, politically, but is there
an imperative to protect the dharma by violent means?  This seems to
contradict the very nature of Buddhism, regardless of the cultural context it
finds itself in.

I teach military ethics, and one of the main points I try to get across to my
students is that violence never settles political issues, and so the only
possible justification for it is that it makes possible the political (or
preferably, intellectual) resolutions of differences.  Buddhism has always
seemed to me to be the one religious tradition that recognized that.  Am I
going to have to change my mind?
--
James Andy Stroble, PhD
Lecturer in Philosophy