[Buddha-l] Temporary renouncing of the precepts.

Barnaby Thieme bathieme at hotmail.com
Fri Jul 9 14:50:03 MDT 2010

I line I've heard from Tibetans, which I believe comes from Vasubandhu's Abhidharmakosha, is that a monk may give back their vows a maximum of three times in a life. Each time they give back their vows they're completely unordained, and you have to be completely re-ordained. It's not like taking a vacation from your vows. Vasubandhu believed vows form a kind of energy lattice and are very real things, not just ideas.

I believe the idea is that it might happen in the midst of a profound personal upheaval or extreme circumstances. It seems contrary to the whole idea of taking monastic vows in that tradition to think that you can effectively put them on hold for a few weeks here or there.

These monks obviously aren't very serious. They should be good Buddhists and die at the hands of the bandits. They should be thankful for the opportunity to die violently, like the bodhisattva giving himself to the hungry mother tiger in the Sutra of the Wise and the Foolish. They believe in reincarnation, don't they?

B~

More than any time in history mankind faces a crossroads. One path
leads to despair and utter hopelessness, the other to total extinction.
Let us pray that we have the wisdom to choose correctly. -- Woody Allen