[Buddha-l] Big is beautiful (was: Review of a review)

JKirkpatrick jkirk at spro.net
Thu Jul 1 12:59:13 MDT 2010

I believe the French word grand(e) plays a similar game. And, if
Zhuangzi (Chuang Tzu) is to be believed, the Chinese term da
(big, great, grand,
etc.) similarly was bigger than merely a size descriptor, and
served as the foundation for evaluative hierarchies. (See
Zhuangzi ch. 17 and my "Zhuangzi's Aporetic Ethics" in _Hiding
the World in the World: Uneven Discourses on the Zhuangzi_, ed.
by Scott Cook).

Dan