[Buddha-l] updates and corrections to "upaya express" (topic: Buddhism in contemporary Japan)

Franz Metcalf franz at mind2mind.net
Tue Jan 26 12:14:03 MST 2010

John et al.,

Thank you, John, for that nuanced and informative post. I just have
one piggyback. You wrote,

> Compared to similar interviews conducted with top
> leaders at Tendai and Soto-Zen headquarters, the
> Pure Land folks are far more proactive and realistic
> about the future of their tradition.

While I have not done balanced field work, my impression is that the
same holds among Japanese Buddhist schools in America. My interactions
with Jodo Shinshu ministers and parishioners have been consistently
surprising to me, as they have uniformly upset my presuppositions
about the school from doctrines to the institution to practice.
Underlying all this seems to be a real lack of presuppositions of
their *own* about its future. Forward thinking and a reemphasis on
establishing new, lay traditions is the rule, rather than the
exception both in Nishi and Higashi branches of Jodo Shinshu. Of
course the challenges that Jodo Shinshu faces in America are different
than those they face in Japan. And whether they will succeed in
rebranding the school is still problematic, but they are certainly
open to new ideas and creative efforts.

Franz Metcalf