[Buddha-l] The upaya express

Dan Lusthaus vasubandhu at earthlink.net
Sat Jan 23 23:49:15 MST 2010

> Ok, so if they've traditionally made most of their bread off the
> funeral biz and didn't do much for duhkha, then who did? Pure
> Land? Sokka gakkai? or are they all going Christian like most of
> the Koreans did?
>
> JK

Complicated. Without doing a somewhat detailed survey, difficult to answer
adequately, but the short(er) answer is something like:

These are all included in what I was describing as Japanese Buddhism. Zen
has always been a minority tradition in Japan -- though we in the west often
treat it metonymically as "Japanese Buddhism." Largest Japanese sect is Pure
Land (Jodo). Shingon, Tendai, Nichiren all have far more adherents (though
"membership" can often be merely a nominal family association that one is
unaware of until a familiy member dies and one has to figure out which
Buddhist group the familiy traditionally belongs to, in order to arrange the
funeral). Don't have the actual current figures on hand (google, etc.,
should be able to provide them, but Zen affiliates are a fraction of the
others.

Nichiren and Soka gakkai (before the latter splintered off from the former)
were considerable, with a political party that accounted for a major chunk
of the Japanese parliament. Despite numerous scandals, Soka Gakkai forges
on. Their rhetoric is about world peace, etc.; the scandals involve arms
dealings, illegal art trade, etc. One of the recent Jodo Shinshu responses
to the "crisis" of Japanese Buddhism is to invent even more elaborate
pre-death funerary rituals (borrowing in odd and creative ways from the
Western Death-and-dying movements), all with a price tag, all with pastoral
counseling in mind. When I suggested a few years ago to some of the leaders
that if they wanted to do something for Japanese culture, instead of these
gentrified rituals, they tackle the problem of suicide (which has been
astronomical in Japan, and has taken on multiple social forms), they just
stared at me speechless. Not in their vocabulary. (and not lucrative?)

As Franz noted, Japanese are not converting to Christianity outright in any
significant numbers, but Christian influence has been infiltrating Japanese
culture in many ways. The Japanese seriously underestimate the long range
impact. Just as in the west "Buddhism" carries an air of the exotic, the
different, the fresh air that revitalizes stale spirituality, in Japan
Buddhism is the old fashioned, old time, obsolete, superstitious, familiar,
worn out, untrustworthy tradition, and Christianity is exotic, new,
associated with the West and prosperity. Japanese marry in churches, in
tuxedos and western-style wedding gowns in elaborately overly expensive
affairs, western style.

Japanese who come to the West typically convert, since they usually have
little to no commitment to their family's traditional denominational
affiliation (if they even know what it is).

Born Shinto, Wed Christian, Die Buddhist (only, the last is starting to
fade).

Dan