[Buddha-l] Vinaya Texts trans/ed. by Oldenberg

Richard Hayes rhayes at unm.edu
Thu Jan 21 21:46:03 MST 2010

On Jan 21, 2010, at 7:15 PM, JKirkpatrick wrote:

> I'm wondering what the status of these translations is today.
> Would anyone knowledgeable kindly comment?
> Is this material now among the Vinaya texts available on
> accesstoinsight, or are these texts different from what's online?

Not very much of the vinaya is on Access to Insight. A few summaries and excerpts are there, but the none of the historical parts that provide the context for the rules and the evolution of the early monastic sangha. The complete vinaya has been translated several times. The best translation is the one currently available through the Pali Text Society in six volumes by I.B. Horner from 1938 to 1966.

Richard