[Buddha-l] Buddhism as a millinarian movement

Graeme Lyall AM glyall at netspace.net.au
Wed Jan 20 18:23:08 MST 2010

Andy wrote:
Maybe it is my ignorance as a student of Buddhism, but I think the entire
> eschatological tradition of apocalypse is foreign to Buddhism, or even if
> we
> have the Age of Mappo, the idea of a religious duty to bring about the
> apocalypse is ultimately foreign to Buddhism.
You may be interested to read the essay by Rory Mackenzie (International Christian College - Glasgow) originally published in the Mahachulalongkorn Journal of Buddhist Studies, "Millenarianism and a New Thai Buddhist Movement (White Dhammakaya Vs Black Dhammakaya)". Rory details several Thai apocalyptic movements. You may read it on http://www.buddhismaustralia.org/Black%20Vs%20White%20Dhammakaya.htm If this link does not work, please go to the Directory on the home page http://www.buddhismaustralia.org/
Be happy,
Graeme
Graeme Lyall AM
President - Amitabha Buddhist Association of New South Wales
Chairman - University Buddhist Education Foundation
Co-Chairman - Standing-Committee on Publications, Publicity, Culture, Arts and Education  - World Fellowship of Buddhists
Buddhist Chaplain - NSW Department of Corrective Services
Secretary - Australian Scottish Cultural & Information Centre (Scottish House)
Founding Member - Australian & Chinese Cultural Council